Published by Primary Source Microfilm
This official statistical source provides rare, detailed data on the German economic situation during the Third Reich up to and throughout World War II.
The titles of the reports included are:
- Monatliche Nachweise-ber den Auswartigen Handel Deutschlands--January 1933-June 1939
- Der Aussenhandel Deutschlands (Monatliche Nachweise)--July 1939
- Sondernachweis der Aussenhandel Deutschlands--August 1939-1944
These reports illustrate a number of major topics, including:
- The importance of German trade with Eastern Europe
- The effect of new trade treaties with South Eastern Europe states concluded in 1934 and 1935
- Germany's economic offensive from 1934
- The growth of a "command economy" and the requirements of the Rearmament Program
- The balance of payments problem
- The defeat of "the traditionalists" with the dismissal of Schacht and Neurath and the appointment of Ribbentrop
Sondernachweis is particularly important as it provides a thorough breakdown of German foreign trade by commodity, volume and value on a monthly basis. The December issue of each year gives a final listing of annual figures.