The Women’s Peace Union (WPU) was founded in 1921 in response to the urging of Christine Ross Barker of Toronto for a peace group to encompass all women of the western hemisphere. Branches of the WPU were formed in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and several Latin American countries.
In 1926, members of the U.S. branch drafted an amendment that would remove war-making powers from the Constitution. This came to be known as the Frazier Amendment, because it was introduced by Senator Lynn J. Frazier of North Dakota in every session of Congress from 1926 to 1940. Much of the WPU’s efforts were directed toward lobbying and preparing testimony for congressional hearings on this amendment. The bulk of this collection consists of correspondence files (1921-1940), but also included are a history of the WPU, minutes of meetings, press releases, literature, speeches, congressional testimony, and clippings.
Number of rolls: 26