From the Collections of the Amistad Research Center
The American Missionary was published monthly from 1846 to 1934; it was the official publication of the American Missionary Association. From 1846 to the Civil War, the American Missionary Association was the best organized, best financed, and most active abolitionist society in America. Beginning in 1861, the American Missionary Society took the lead in providing education for the liberated slaves and continues today to be one of the leading supporters of Afro-American education.
Prior to the Civil War, the American Missionary Association supported work in Africa, Siam, Jamaica, Hawaii, and Egypt, in Canada among the fugitive slaves, and in the United States on the frontier (from Ohio to New Mexico) among whites and Indians, in the border slave states among whites, and among black and immigrant groups in the cities.
The American Missionary reported the activities of missionaries and teachers, and also provided incisive and comprehensive reports on social, economic, and political conditions in the communities or regions they served.
In addition to its foreign missions and work among the Indians and Chinese, the agents of the American Missionary Association established between 1846 and 1865 over five hundred churches, all of which were devoted to the abolition of slavery. Hundreds of schools and churches have been established by the Association since 1861 for America's ethnic minorities and depressed whites. The history of many of these schools, including Emerson Institute, Talladega College, Howard University, Atlanta University, Berea College, Tougaloo College, Peabody Academy, and Tillotson College, can be traced in the columns of the American Missionary.