InfoTrac OneFile Sample Searches
OneFile is a one-stop source for news and periodical articles
on a wide range of topics: business, computers, current events,
economics, education, environmental issues, health care, hobbies,
humanities, law, literature and art, politics, science, social science,
sports, technology and many general interest topics. This database
contains millions of full-text articles, many with images. It is
A training consultant doing a keyword
search in InfoTrac OneFile for "statistical data included" and "trad*" (to retrieve
all iterations of "trade") kept getting the "Wild card expansion
produces too many terms" error and she wanted to know why.
- Using "trad*" in the keyword search
would also include words like "tradition", "traditions", etc.
Even using "AND" with "statistical data included" would retrieve
too many records (more than 1.84 million) for the system to handle.
- Entering the following in the
keyword entry box yielded relevant results and avoided the wild
card expansion error message:
(statistical data included) AND (trade or trading or trader)
A reference librarian from the University
of Colorado at Boulder using InfoTrac OneFile wanted to search for full-text
articles from April 2003 to the present on the Patriot Act.
- Opened InfoTrac OneFile and went into the
"Subject guide search" page.
- Entered "Patriot Act" in the entry
- Limited search to dates from May
2003 to the present.
- Clicked on the "Search" button
and found that the preferred search term was the "Antiterrorism
Act of 2001".
- Clicked on any of the three "See"
buttons displaying this preferred term and retrieved five newspaper
and more than 100 periodical full-text
articles that fit the desired criteria.
A patron at a public library using
InfoTrac OneFile wanted retrieve full-text articles on the Children's Internet
Protection Act (CIPA).
- Opened InfoTrac OneFile and went to the "Subject
guide search" page.
- Checked the "to articles with text" box and entered "Children's
Internet Protection Act" to see
if was a preferred term. It was not. "Children's Online
Privacy Protection Act of 1998" was.
- Clicked on the "See" button before the preferred term and retrieved more than 40 newspaper and more than 270 periodical full-text articles.
A user of InfoTrac OneFile want to know of a
quick way to retrieve all articles/citations on the blackout that
took place more than the northeastern region of North America.
- Entered InfoTrac OneFile and went to the "Subject
guide search" page.
- Entered the world "blackout" in
the entry box and clicked on the "Search" button.
- Four preferred terms were retrieved,
one of which was "Northeast Blackout, 2003".
- Clicked on the "View" button under
"Northeast Blackout, 2003" and retrieved more than 200 newspaper and more than 260 periodical articles/abstracts.
A user of InfoTrac OneFile wanted to find any
articles that mentioned on the "Universal National Service Act of
- Opened InfoTrac OneFile and went to the "Advanced
- Selected "Text Word (tx)" and
entered "Universal National Service Act of 2003" in the first
- Clicked on the "Search" button and retrieved seven articles.